Monday, January 9, 2023

Another fall

I had another fall yesterday. I was in the kitchen and pushed my walker out of the way to get into the refrigerator to get some milk for my cereal. Somehow my foot caught on one of the mats we have on the floor and I lost my balance. I tried to catch myself, but no luck, down I went. I called "Help!" and Ned was there in minutes. He got Marta and the two of them got me up again. When I think of the number of times I've fallen and they have picked me up it makes me SO incredibly happy that they live here!  Walt and I can't get me moving and we have to call the fire department to send their "lift" team (which arrives with a car and a fire engine!) to get me up.

Since the fall, I am finding myself very concerned, and using my walker more than I have been.  I have always felt uneasy walking without the walker but pleased that I seem to be getting better at it.  Now I'm nervous doing anything without having something to hang onto.

We have been having storms, and our yard looks most like a swimming pool.  I realize that for those who are facing flooding this is nothing, but we haven't seen this much rain in Davis in years.  


Of course the big problem is that house broken Bubba doesn't want to go out in the rain so he is pooping and peeing all over the house.  If you take him outside he'll run around the yard, but then when he comes in, he pees.  Sigh.

Ned has gotten really good at setting up the generator.  He did it in the middle of the night when our power went out and he didn't want me to trip and fall over anything. When the weather report predicted that last night's storm would be stronger he left everything set up so he could plug things in easily, but the wind wasn't nearly that strong and we did not lost our power.


4 comments:

CountryDew said...

I'm glad you're not hurting yourself when you fall but do be careful. Maybe a cane always when the walker is too large?

Anonymous said...

It was a sad moment when I realized I had to pick up alltherugs.i am glad you have support and are safe

Anonymous said...

Stay safe Bev, in the house and from all the storms that you are getting!

Anonymous said...

I hope you're feeling okay, Bev!