Sunday, November 27, 2016

Sunday Stealing

We found this gem... from a blogger who calls himself Silverguy of the site MD Junction. I’d like to tell you more but that’s all I’ve got. That site is a Blogspot or Wordpress wannabe but it is more like you have Blogger logos all over your blog. I hope you had a terrific Thanksgiving. (We apologize to our international players for having questions about an American holiday.)

Time to toast!

Cheers to all of us thieves!

How many Thanksgivings do you attend?
Just one.  We had an invitation to go to a second, but with dealing with my 97 year old mother all day, one was about all I was up for.  I never know when this is going to be her last holiday and even though with her dementia she doesn't now what's going on, still it's important to me that we spend it together.

Where do you attend Thanksgiving(s)
?
I so miss the days when the entire family went to Walt's mother's condo at Lake Tahoe and we spent the weekend laughing and playing games and everyone contributed to the food.  But she is gone now, my mother has dementia, and the kids are scattered, so now it's a dilemma each year.  We have gone out to a restaurant, had dinner at the facility where my mother lives, been with Ned's in-laws, and had dinner here.  This year, we just had dinner for 3 here at our house, while Ned and his wife visited early in the day and ate with his in-laws.

What is your favorite dish?
A toss-up between stuffing and pie.

What is your least favorite dish at Thanksgiving?
That ghastly green bean casserole everyone likes.  Yuck!!

What, if any, are your Thanksgiving traditions?
We're at a period in our lives where we are struggling to find new traditions.  It used to be that we played charades (hilarious with Walt's mother, who never could get the rules straight) and Tom making his famous baked Alaska.  He may not have been in high school yet when he decided he wanted to learn how to make it.  Now he's gently pushing 50.  I wonder if he still makes it....?

Name your FAV thing about Thanksgiving.
These days I am very nostalgic about Thanksgiving and my favorite thing, maybe, is memories of so many wonderful Thanksgivings in the past.

Do you make anything for Thanksgiving? If yes, share what and why.
I made turkey, dressing, garlic cheese mashed potatoes, Brussels Sprouts with pomegranates and walnuts, and, of course, pumpkin pie.  Amazingly, my mother ate a little of everything.

Out of everything you eat at Thanksgiving, what can YOU cook the best?
Stuffing and pumpkin pie.

What do you drink with your Thanksgiving feast?
We serve white wine, but I have water, my preference.  (We did have vodka tonics before dinner, though)

Has there ever been a feud during your Thanksgiving?
No.  Fortunately we've never been a feuding family.

Do you have Appetizers before you Thanksgiving meal?
We used to, but with only 3 people for dinner, appetizers seemed kind of silly.

How many people attend your Thanksgiving(s)? If yes, who?
Over the years, I have had as many as 24, including the whole family and one or two foreign students living with us.  So this year with just Walt, me and my mother was kind of pathetic!

Have you ever missed a Thanksgiving?
Two years ago, I was in Iowa, helping my cousin going through chemotherapy.  Because of weather, I was kind of trapped there longer than I expected and had Thanksgiving dinner with her family, but it seemed strange not being home for the holiday.

What kind of pie/cake/dessert do you eat for dessert?
Pumpkin!!!  I think I have in the past also made a pecan pie and, as I mentioned above, Tom always made baked Alaska, but nowadays, it's just pumpkin pie.

Do you ever play games at Thanksgiving?
In the years when we were going to Lake Tahoe, we played games all weekend.  In addition to charades there were endless card games of all kinds, and a few board games as well.  As I said, I miss those days.

Name 3 things you are Thankful for:
1. My family (including the dogs)
2. That my mother is physically healthy (it would be terrible if in addition to dementia she suffered some sort of debilitating condition).
3. NCIS marathons

Is there anyone who has normally attended Thanksgiving, that will not be there this year? Who?
Not THIS year, but every year, we miss Paul and David, now dead many, many years.

Name the funniest person at your Thanksgiving this year and tell us more.
Ned is always the funniest and thanks to his humor, my mother was convinced that she could come to our house, otherwise she would have stayed home sitting in a chair looking at leaves on the trees.

Which person eats the MOST?
Me

Which person eats the LEAST?
My mother, who took about a tablespoon of each thing.  but she ate them.

Do any animals attend Thanksgiving dinner?
Of course.  Lizzie and Polly would be very disappointed if they couldn't sit and stare at us hoping for something to fall on the floor.

If so, do they get Thanksgiving scraps?
I value my life, so yes.

Who carves the turkey?
Walt.

Have you ever had to make Thanksgiving all on YOUR OWN?
Just about every year since I started making Thanksgiving dinner, sometime in the 1970s.

Do you get along with the people you have thanksgiving with?
Walt and my mother?  Yes, I could say so!

Is your Thanksgiving formal, or do you just do whatever?
There has never been anything in our lives that has been formal.

No comments: