Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pinterest

It's really fun having been in on something in the early days when it suddenly goes big.
Of course Pinterest had been going for awhile when I first discovered it, but it seems to have gone huge.

I discovered Pinterest in June of last year.  I called it another internet time waster, and it is certainly that, but I heard it recently described as the newest thing in social media.

We have gone from writing e-mail, to writing short status updates, to writing those updates in only 140 characters and now you don't even have to write anything -- it's all visual.
But what visuals!  I have to admit that in a bit of a "there goes the neighborhood" feeling, I've noticed that Pinterest doesn't have quite the "class" that it seemed to when I started using it but there is still a lot of that class to go around.

So what is Pinterest? 

Well, you know when you are surfing the internet and you find a picture that is just so cute or gorgeous or interesting that you want to share it with all your friends?  If you have the time you copy the URL and you send that to your friends and if they have time they go and find it and try to figure out which particular picture on the page was the one you really liked.

Pinterest eliminates that middle man.

Today, I found this adorable photo:

wpe1DD3.jpg (11518 bytes)

I clicked on the button in my bookmarks that says "pin it" and it is put into my Pinterest account, in the "board" that I select.

Oh.  Did I forget to talk about the boards?  You can either put all of your "pinnings" in the same gigantic bulletin board, but if, like me, you really get into this thing. you will want to have lots of boards, like folders where you get your e-mail.
 
I started out with a few boards, but they have grown like Topsy.   Some of them are: Products I love, Favorite Restaurants, When I was Young, Being a Mom in the 60s-70s, Strange things, "I left my heart..." Animals, Must have Coffee, Cool stuff, I love Elephants, Smile, Funny the World....etc., etc.  Forty-six of them.

Not only can you add pictures that you found somewhere, but you can look at other people's boards and if something grabs your attention, you can "re-pin" it to one of your boards.

I have a whole board, called "Climb a Tree," for tree houses, filled with amazing photos that I found on other people's boards.  How would you like to have THIS tree house?

wpe1DD4.jpg (22219 bytes)

I have a board for Matryushka dolls, like this Wizard of Oz set:

wpe1DD5.jpg (21105 bytes)

This is my favorite picture from the board "Sights to Behold"

wpe1DD6.jpg (27289 bytes)
(This is in Arizona)

I could go on and on, but that would spoil your fun by discovering them yourself.  If you have a Pinterest account, leave a note in the comments section so I can check out what you have found.  And have fun discovering!

3 comments:

cd0103 said...

I do! Cd0103@charter.net

Bev Sykes said...

There is no Pinterest board labeled cd0103 and Cd0103@charter.net is an e-mail address. Whom are you trying to fool?

Kwizgiver said...

I spend so much time on Pintrest- just when I think I'm done, something awesome catches my eye!