Monday, November 26, 2018

All Cried Out

It was nice to be able to get up the morning after Thanksgiving and have pumpkin pie for breakfast...the one thing I was afraid I'd miss about not hosting the dinner, but since I had made the pie myself, Walt and I had a whole pie to share.  What with breakfast, snack and dinner dessert, we polished that sucker off, just the two of us.

I had slept until nearly 9 and by the time I got Funny the World posted, it was after 11.  I had decided that my plan for the day was to read Brianna's choice for our next book club selection, "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Paterson.

It was a book I knew nothing about.  I remembered vaguely hearing the title, but didn't even know it was a young adult book.

Well, I should have known to stock a supply of Kleenex before reading it.  It was a lovely book with a huge sadness toward the end, though the sadness resulted in a beautiful ending, but there was a lot of Kleenex crumpled before the end of the book.

After reading the book, I had to see the movie, which was available on Netflix.  It was a good movie, but not nearly as good as the book.  It was all "Disney-fied" with real CGI creatures creating a magical world that in the book existed only in the imagination of the two children involved.  It was better leaving them in the imagination.
 

It was a quiet Sunday.  You would have thought that I lazed about forever, since I didn't wake up until 9:30, after Walt had returned from Mass.  But the truth was that I hadn't gone to sleep until around 5 a.m. so really I only had 4 hours of sleep....and then a nice long nap in the afternoon.

A few months back, I thought I was being very clever, recording Pride and Prejudice, the one movie guaranteed to put me to sleep. I remembered that while trying unsuccessfully to go to sleep and put the movie on, convinced I would be asleep in minutes

However, it turned out to be Pride and Prejudice and vampires and started with Darcey riding up to a mansion on a horse sword swinging and the after giving his name as "Darcey" let into a tube that he had to climb down.

I decided this would not put me to sleep!

OK.  So let's go with another classic.  I had also recorded Jane Eyre, though that was a book that I did enjoy,  But old film...black and white... etc.  Surely this would put me to sleep, but no, Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles were so good that I was hooked on it.

I think around 4, I finally found a news program and that put me to sleep.  Trump had not yet tweeted about giving permission for his border troops to fire on the asylum seekers and OK with tear gassing little kids.  That probably would have kept me up all night.

Saturday night, I watched 60 Minutes about the thousands of kids still held by the government and the mess that whole thing has been (and now he is threatening to do it again).

Within half an hour of the program's ending, Trump had tweeted that it was all Fake news and that nothing like that had happened, though the interviewees were those who were involved with it in the first place.  Trump insists he's just following the procedure that Obama put in place, but Obama never separated families and always deported parents with their children.

What a mess.  And what can be done about it?  Nothing.

Today Putin is smugly celebrating the fall of the United States as number one power in the world.  Sadly, he's right.  We are the laughing stock of the world and our president, who for Thanksgiving said he was thankful for himself, has lost all the good will we have built up through many presidents, both Republican and Democrat.

I can hardly wait for Time magazine to come out with their person of the year.  Trump says he can't imagine anybody else they could name but him.  If they do, I am finished with that magazine!  But I suspect it is more likely to be the Parkland Kids.
 

Ned got down a photo album from 1977, trying to see if he could figure out what he got for Christmas that year.  In looking through it, though, I cam across this photo, which is 7 year old Tom paying little league.


I am sure I have photos of both Brianna and Lacie that look like that, so I scanned the photo an sent it to each of them.

No comments: