Thursday, January 14, 2016

The 7 Dwarfs

As I sat down to eat my yogurt yesterday morning, I suddenly gave a loud, explosive sneeze.  A few minutes later, there was another one.
Lately I've been sneezing.  It's weird because I sneeze two or three times, deep somewhat satisfying sneezes, and then I'm finished. It generally happens once in the morning and once at night.  I am assuming it is some kind of weird allergy that only affects me, briefly twice day.
But as I thought about it, I couldn't help but think of the 7 dwarfs.  An I realized that I pretty much embody all of the dwarfs at one time or another.
 
Today, for example, I expect to be wandering around Logos looking like Sleepy.  I woke up around 2 a.m. this morning and for the first time in a very long time, I could not get back to sleep.  So unless I can get in a nap before going to Atria for lunch, I am going to be fighting sleep all afternoon.  I noted with some amusement that one year ago, I was writing about waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep.
The dwarf I identify most with, of course, is Bashful.  I may not be Sneezy all the time and I may not be Sleepy all the time, but I am bashful all the time.  I cover well, sometimes, but there is always that little dwarf inside me who is looking for the potted palm to hide behind so I don't have to find something to say to people.
Going without sleep often makes me Grumpy.  But there are a lot of other things that make me Grumpy.  Lately all the Obama-bashing on Facebook has made me very grumpy.  It is amazing to me how much hatred and downright disrespect there is of our president.  Grrrr.
Of course I can be Happy too. Yesterday I received an order from the Roaman's fat lady catalog.  It is my week for free stuff.  I ordered a coat.  I have not had a new coat in decades and I found one I like...and because it was over $75 and because I ordered in the right time frame, they tossed in a free parka.  I almost like the parka better than the coat, though the coat will be what I wear to the theater a lot so I stop looking like my disheveled colleague.  Yes, I am very happy right now.
I guess I'm a bit like Doc too.  This is the guy who wears glasses and gets his words mixed up from time to time.  With my new specs coming, and my approaching dementia (any day now!), I often feel like doc.
But mostly I feel like Dopey.  Especially when I am sleepy and bashful.  Dopey is also the lovable dwarf and I hope that maybe I have that quality about myself too.

And now I'm going to crawl back into my recliner and see if maybe I can get a little more sleep.  Then, hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work I go...

No comments: