Sunday, March 3, 2019

Sunday Stealing

1. I wish I had enough money to ________.
make a significant difference in the lives of all the children I sponsor around the world (e.g. building water/bathroom facilities where there are none)

2. If you had to enter a competition for the "Most Uselessly Unique Talent," what would your talent be?
I can wiggle my ears -- sort of.  I also know the deaf sign language alphabet and often use bad words in sign language instead of saying them.

3. When it might hurt their feelings, how do you feel about telling your friends the truth?
I guess it depend on how serious the truth is.  I have lost a friend because of telling her about something serious.  Not sorry I did it, but sorry I lost the friendship.

4. Peanut or plain?
Depends.  For peanut butter, definitely plain. For anything that you can add peanuts to, definitely add peanuts! 

5. Is there someone you would like to take your place in life for one day? Who and why?
I'd like my mother's stepson to come and spend a day dealing with problems concerning my mother.

6. Who was your favorite teacher and why?
Sister Anne my junior year typing teacher, was my favorite teacher and then my friend until her death many years later.  Daughter Jeri is named for her (Jerilyn Anne).  Why? I dunno.  We just clicked.

7. What do you think is the ugliest thing or event on Earth?
Wow...so many Trump-related things from which to choose, starting with his smirk, the sight of him hugging any of the dictators he seems to admire, or the sight of jailed children longing for parents they will never see again.

8. What is your least favorite of your personality traits or quirks?
Again, so many from which to choose, but if I start mentioning them I might have to start DOING something about them.

9. I wish I could see ________ because _________.
Paul and David, because I miss them every day, even though it's been 20 years

10. Tell us your favorite children's story.
There was a story I used to love when I was a little kid about a family who lived in China, where it was illegal to eat pork.  They raised pigs and one day their barn burned down and in reaching inside to see if any of the pigs were alive, the father poked a burned pig and put his finger in his mouth to cool it off...discovering how delicious roasted pork is.  I've mentioned this story before and someone found a web site where the whole essay is printed, though not in the simple child-like story I remember.

11. Explain how to play your favorite game.
I miss my cousins.  When we had Cousins Day for several years with my mother we always played a game we called "65," though I think the official name is "Crowns."  It's a card game that is probably entirely too complicated to explain, but we loved it.

12. What do you keep in the trunk of your car?
The usual car care stuff, a blanket, recycle bags for groceries, bottled water (moved a bottle at a time to the inside, depending on whether I'm out of drinking water of not, and my walker.

13. Tell us about your favorite way to get lost in a simple activity � running, chopping vegetables, folding laundry, whatever. What�s it like when you�re in "the zone"?
In the zone for me is generally sitting here at  the computer, suddenly realizing that several hours have passed.  I can also get lost in reading a good book, though I am more aware of the time then.

14. What�s your dream tourist destination � either a place you�ve been and loved, or a place you�d love to visit? What about it speaks to you?
I have always wanted to go to Africa because of my love of the big animals, but at 76, with all sort of minor physical problems, I don't see that happening now.  I've also wanted to go through the inland passage to Alaska, though with my mother still alive, travel is not possible because I don't want to be so far away in an emergency.

[ASIDE:  She got into the board and care home we visited yesterday and will move on Tuesday!!!]

15. What parts of nature do you like best?
I am a freak for Nature specials on TV, mostly the animal ones, especially elephants and apes of all sizes.  This time of year, I love driving somewhere where there is an explosion of wildflowers.  I have heard that with all the rain it is going to be gorgeous this year, but since we aren't "traveling" right now, we will miss it.

16. What kind of program do you enjoy most on TV--detective shows, comedies, game shows--and why?
Crime dramas like NCIS, NCIS-LA, Criminal Minds, SVU and I just decided I think I'm going to like the new Whiskey Cavalier.  I don't know because I'm so NOT into violence, but maybe it plays to something in the dark part of my soul.  Mostly I like the shows because of the camaraderie among the teams.

17. Do you know any professional athletes?
Our son went to school with a guy who played football, for a time, on the Vikings.  It was most fun the year they were in the Super Bowl.

18. What will the next must-have technological innovation be? Jetpacks? Hoverboards? Wind-powered calculators?
I don't know, but I probably won't get it for years.  I am not one to hop on the latest technological innovation, but wait until the excitement dies down--and I know the thing really WORKS the way everyone hoped it would (and the price has dropped a bit!)

19. Have you ever been the victim of a crime?
When I was a kid, someone broke into our house and stole the contents of my piggy bank (among other things).  I still feel violated.  Someone also broke into David's car, after his death, and stole his brand new radio/tape player.  And then there was the little incident of my sister being murdered by her partner, but that was so long ago it almost doesn't seem real any more

20. What if you woke up tomorrow with the ability to understand animals. What do you think you�d hear from them?
I want to have a conversation with Polly to see if I've interpreted all of her conversational barks with us correctly. 

21.What is something that makes you melancholy?
The current state of the world and this country's role in it, my mother's increasing dementia, missing Paul and David.

No comments: