Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Girl Talk

I had lunch at Tres Hermanas Mexican restaurant with my friend Kathleen yesterday.

I love the restaurant not only for the good food, but for the unique decor.

Kathy and I used to have lunch every month, but it's been a rough year for the both of us and while she tells me it's not quite a year since our last lunch, it's pretty darn close.  She was supposed to bring me Girl Scout cookies, if that's any indication of how long it's been....this would have been 2018 cookies.

We lingered over lunch for two hours, getting caught up on our lives, and raking the current administration over the coals.  Kind of what we always do, but in more detail since there were more months to cover.  It was better than a therapist appointment.  I sorely miss one on one girl chats and I left lunch today on a real high.  We have already set a date for our March lunch, so I guess we are back on rack again.

And the food was delicious.  I had checked the menu on line before we met and discovered they were offering a crab enchilada which of course I had to try.  It was fabulous, with real chunks of crab in it.  Of course it came with rice and refried beans and Kathy had ordered guacamole for us, since she was treating me to a birthday lunch a few days early.  I normally never finish a big lunch, but this was too good and I ate it all.  I was so stuffed when I got home, I had to take a siesta and then when I cooked dinner, I realized that there was no way I was going to eat anything, so I just served dinner to Walt.

On the drive home, I was listening to BBC news reporting on the situation in Hungary at the moment.  The latest headlines tell of the government control over news reporting institutions, most of which are "fake news," prime minister Orban says.  This move will only allow government-friendly organizations internet access.  More than 400 web sites, newspapers, tv channels and radio stations are rushing to transfer to Central European press, though if any are caught printing anti-Orban news, they can have negative government feedback.
Since taking power in 2010, Orban has steadily chipped away at Hungary’s checks and balances, stacking the Constitutional Court with loyalists, reshaping the electoral system to favor his party and placing dozens of watchdog institutions — including the judiciary and prosecution service — under the leadership of his allies.
The reporter said this is the new wave in many countries--where a would-be autocrat, skilled at media, uses his expertise to get elected and then starts reshaping the country. getting rid of the rules and regulations they deem distasteful.

Sound familiar?

Kathy and I bemoaned the fact that the work of the LGBT community to achieve rights in housing, employment and other things (could marriage be next?) has been eroded.  I'm wondering how the current administration is going to find a way to nullify the thousands of marriages that have taken place since marriage equality was won.  I'm sure that is on the agenda if they can figure out how to do it.

No comments: