Thursday, May 3, 2012

Gooey Cheesy Stuff

It was my turn to cook the Cousins Day dinner (Peach brought hors d'oeuvres and drinks).  At first we thought we were going out to Drake's Bay (about an hour and a half away) to scatter ashes, and I figure I would just buy a pizza for dinner, since we would obviously get home late.

But then I decided we should just have our Day 1 of Cousins Day be as usual and go out to Drake's Bay on Day 2, which meant I would now have to figure out what to have for dinner.  I don't know why I had a hankering for Swiss fondu but I did, and  figure it would be easy to prepare.  It was.

But first there was the rest of the day.  Peach arrived right on time, around 9:30 and we got to my mother's around 11.  We sat over coffee and everybody got caught up on what everybody else was doing.  I have to say that we were thrilled that this was a "good" day for my mother.  The topics on which she can have a real conversation have become more limited, but if you stay within those topics, you'd hardly know there was any memory loss at all.  It was a very good day.

At noon, we had lunch, soup and sandwiches, and then when all the dishes had been cleared away, the cards came out, of course. 

CDRoses.jpg (47642 bytes)
Kathy's place

It was a great card-playing Cousins Day because Peach and I each won 4 games and my mother won 3, so everybody came out a winner.  My mother was obsessed with keeping track of who had won how many games, and pouted when she had won "only" three, but it was much better than the months when she won no games.

Around 4, Peach brought out her Cinco de Mayo hors d'oeuvres  - taquitos and some Margarita flavored wine concoction which was tasty, and not strong enough to have much of an effect (she bought the packets at WalMart).  The cocktail/hors d'oeuvre hour always makes for more interesting card-playing!

CDMargarita.jpg (49922 bytes)
(We haven't done posed toasts since Kathy died)

Around 6 p.m., I started making the fondu.  It turned out so well and everyone seemed to like it a lot.

CDFonduforks.jpg (53939 bytes)

We watched Jeopardy and then Wheel of Fortune and then Survivor and then had to decide between Criminal Minds and more cards, so we chose more cards and played two more games before the poop-outs decided to go to bed.  I stayed up and watched Smash (On-Demand) and The Daily Show and then I was off to sleep too.

Tomorrow we are taking Kathy "home," where we scattered her mother's ashes.  Peach has half of her ashes, the other half having been scattered by her husband and kids.

No comments: