Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Batten down the hatches


I got an e-mail from the City of Davis warning me about the upcoming major storm we are supposed to be having in the next two days. According to the National Weather Service predicts that it could be the strongest this area has had in years.

Current forecasts predict sustained winds of 20-30 mph with gusts of 40-50 mph and 1-3 inches of rain in the valley. The rain is predicted to begin Wednesday night and continue into Thursday. The heaviest rain is predicted for Thursday and stormy weather is expected to last into Friday.

The warning came with a bunch of things we should do in preparation, including grocery shop and fill tanks with gas. I did my bit to prepare and went to spend $130 on groceries. Not only that, but I bought a lot of ingredients with the intention of doing holiday baking while the wind blows and the rain falls.

Of course with MY luck this month, the power will go out!

One thing about Walt....he's a really good guy and he puts up with a lot from me, mostly without complaint.  My latest was a doozie.
About a year ago, Brianna and Lacie gave me these really nice earrings.  They are tiny, but sparkly and I love them because they gave them to me.  I wear earrings 24/7 and I immediately put these on and wore them from there on out. 
The only problem is that some earrings--and these fall into that category--start to hurt my earrings after a couple of months and I have to swap them with other earrings.  The last time I saw the girls, I was not wearing these and Brianna commented on it.  So I wanted to be sure to to swap them back to the stars before we go to Santa Barbara this month.
First, the earrings are smaller than showed in the picture.  I took out the dangling comedy/tragedy earrings and put them on the counter, then took the first star earring in my hand, bobbled it, and it went down the drain of the sink.
I cautiously approached Walt with my problem and he asked how badly I wanted the earring back because he couldn't reach it with any implement, but he could take the drain pipe off.  I hesitated, but told him I really would like to have it back, but told him that if it was going to be too difficult, to forget about it.
Then I went off to San Rafael with my mother.
When I got home, he told me he had retrieved my earring, but that the pipes were so old (41+ years) that he couldn't get the leaking to stop and he would have to get a plumber to seal everything.
I have the earring back in place now, but I feel guilty for being such a doofus as to try to put it in my ear while standing over a sink.  I won't make that mistake again.
But thanks to my wonderful husband, all is well that ends well...well, after we hire a plumber to fix things.
Thank you, dear!