Thursday, March 29, 2018

Creative Juices

First, sorry about comments yesterday (I had hoped it would be fixed by today, but apparently not).  I could not log into the comment program and so it wouldn't let me approve any comments.  I can see them and read them because they are sent to me by mail, but I can't reach the site to approve them and make them public. Trouble shooting tells me it's not my fault or the fault of the middle server, but in the final server itself (don't ask me to explain because I don't understand it either!)

Wednesday is Walt's day to volunteer at his office (amazing to me how many guys who retire from the office go back to work part time as volunteers!) and I had all sorts of plans of what I was going to accomplish while he was at work (not that I can't do it if he's home, but somehow with him out of the house, I feel I should be doing more).

The one thing I planned to do was to make bread.  I had saved some mashed potatoes and the potato water from boiling the potatoes for dinner the night before, so some time in the late morning, I got the bread maker fired up. 

I had a full jar of water and a big container of mashed potatoes, then realized it took only 1/4 cup of potato water and 1/3 cup of potatoes, but I got the machine started.  I love this bread machine, but there are quirks.  For one thing it takes about 20 minutes to warm up and get started and then when it begins to mix everything, it has two little mixers and often one of them needs help starting, so I sit and wait for the machine to start (I've gotten smart and now set a timer for 20 minutes and then check the machine).  Then if it needs help, I stick my hand down through the flour and turn it until it "catches" and starts working.

The machine makes good bread, but is often misshapen so I have started just having the machine make dough and then I let it rise in a regular bread pan.

Aside:  A recent Saturday 9 or some other quiz asked about when was the last time you bought bread.  I was amazed at how many people said they can't remember when they last ate bread.  I can't remember when I didn't eat some sort of bread in a day.  I just head that in Sweden 97% of all people eat bread.  I wonder what the percentage would be in this country.

Anyway, while the bread machine was doing its thing, I was trying out my new exacto-knife.  I had a project I wanted to make and I needed a knife.  I was pleased with how it turned out when I finished.


It doesn't look like much, but I had some "grass" paper and I cut sections of it in order to hide Easter eggs and bunnies. 

This is for my latest Magpie journal, which is just a mish-mash of whatever you think of.  I was inspired to make a few more pages.


I had received two mailings from Kaiser in which there was a page of sample various languages in which they could translate.  I thought it made a nice background for pictures of three of my sponsored kids.

And then there was this one, my salute to mail.


It was about the time I finished this page when I decided to go to Atria.  I had been mentally vacillating between going to Atria or going to the supermarket and finally decided on Atria.  As I walked out into the kitchen, I saw this very large loaf of raised bread dough -- I had for gotten all about it and while it was not overflowing the pan, it was very high, so I got it into the oven as soon as possible.  Then, of course, I had to stay home until the bread as baked, by which time it was too late to go to either Atria or the supermarket. 

Well, it wasn't too late to go to the supermarket but I was ready for my nap.

So the day passed, Walt came home from work and all I had to show for my day was a load of laundry in the dryer, a few Magpie pages and a loaf of bread.  But I am closer to the end of the book and I can mail it off.  And the bread was delicious.

No comments: