Sunday, January 7, 2018

Sunday Stealing

1. What did you do last year that you had not done before?Got hearing aids. I had also never been in a book club lead by my 9 year old granddaughter
 2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions/goals for the year and will you make/set more for next year?  What are they? What are your new ones?
As a general rule, I don’t make resolutions because I rarely keep them, but I think I need to make a resolution to be more patient this year, as my mother’s Alzheimers worsens.

3. Did anyone you know give birth? Or become pregnant?  Or adopt?
Nope. I’m at the age where all my friend’s children (and my childreln’s friends) have all had their babies and until THOSE babies grow up, no more new babies.

4. Did anyone you know die? Or have a serious illness/injury?
Too many people we knew died. I’ve lost count, but that’s what happens when you are in your 70s. All of your friends start dying. Social gatherings usually begin with "organ recitals," where you learn who has been ill, had a body part replacled, etc.

5. What places have you visited?
I don’t think I"ve visited any place this year, except Santa Barbara, where our son and his family live. We go there a couple of times a year to visit the granddaughters.  

6. Any new pets? Lost a pet?
Lizzie, our dog of 10+ years got very sick overnight and we were going to have her put to sleep, but she took matters into her own paws and died before the vet could tend to her. I miss her a lot.

7. What would you like to have next year that you lacked this year (doesn't have to be a physical thing i.e. love, job security, peace of mind...)? 
It’s not what I want MORE of, it’s what I want LESS of, and that’s depression over my mother’s condition. She’s physically healthy as a horse, but has zero short-term memory.

8. What date from last year will remain etched in your memory and why?
Since I can’t think of a specific date, I guess nothing etched itself in my memory, but I will never forget the deep, deep depression of watching Donald Trump become president. 

9. What was your biggest achievement last year?
I think getting my mother settled in the memory care unit was a huge achievement.  It is a better place for her and it has eased a lot of the pressure on me as well.

10. Did you get sick or injured?
Thankfully, no

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hands down, my Instapot!  I expect we will have a long and happy life together. 

12. Where did most of your disposable income go (money leftover after you pay for food, medical care, basic clothing, transportation and shelter)? 
The basics of daily living come out of Walt’s retirement chek and as he pays the bills, I ever see how much that is. I spend about $300 a month on sponsorship of 11 children arund the world, and the rest of my disposable income goes either for little things for my mother, or books for me.

13. What song will always remind you of last year?  Doesn't have to be a song released last year.
I have been "learning Hamilton" by listening to the CD. I haven’t seen the show and probably won’t for 2 years. But "The Room Where it Happened" has been an earworm for some time now.

14. What do you wish you would have done more of?
Probably reading.

15. What do you wish you would have done less of?
Talking with my mother about how old she is for an hour every couple of days. 

16. What was your favorite new TV program? Movie? Album/Songs? Or if you didn't pick up any new ones, what are you still watching/listening to? Any recommendations?
I’m enjoying "Young Sheldon" since I’m such a "Big Bang Theory" fan. And I’m still loving "Outlander" and eager for Season 4 to start.

17. What was the best book you read this year?  How many did you read?
I’ve read 34 books this year (much fewer than last year) and of those my favorite was probably "Silent Footsteps," by Sally Henderson, about this woman’s time observing elephant families in Botswana. (I love elephants and reading about them)

18. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? Did you feel differently?
I had lunch with a friend, listened to a depressing Trump speech, and reviewed a so-so show (about Lizzie Borden). The next night Walt took me out to dinner at a nice Italian restaurant and then the following day we had lunch at the facility where my mother lives. She had no clue that it was my birthday, nor did it seem to faze her when she was told that, but we enjoyed out lunch anyway. I didn’t feel differently. I think after 65, it’s all downhill anyway! 

19. What political or social issue stirred you the most? 
How much time do you have? This country is going to hell in a handbag, and being pushed by the man who never should have been president. Other than that, things are fine.

20. Who was the most interesting new person you met?
I can't think of that many new people I met, but Jen, the lady who runs the Memory Unit where my mother now lives is an interesting person.

21. Describe how a relationship changed. 
It's not significant, but I used to stay in close contact with my mother's step-son, who handles her finances.  As her memory has gotten worse, he visits less and less and now doesn't even answer my e-mails.

22. Do you think you are still the same person that you were at the beginning of the year?  How so?
Oh probably. Other than the continuing deterioration of my mother’s mental health and my deepening depression about it, not much else has changed in my life. I’m just more resigned about it.

23. Summarize the year in three words or less. Bonus points for doing it in one word. Explain.
Alzheimers. (Does that really need explanation?) 

24. How have people around you changed? 
Mostly my mother. My son also is much easier to get along with, now that he’s 50.  He has often been a godsend.

25. What have you learned throughout the year? (Other than crafts) Alzheimers sucks.

26. Did you learn any new crafts or techniques? What was your favorite thing you made? 
I can't think of any new crafts I learned, except beginning to learn how to get the most out of the new InstaPot.

27. What changed about your physical appearance? (Hair? Wrinkles? New makeup style? Etc) I don't really change, from year to year.  Not even more wrinkles, since the fat moves in an smooths them over.

28. What are your hopes and dreams for the new year?  (Some suggestions-family, travel, work, lifestyle, hobbies, pets, appearance)I hope for improvement in Washington, I know there is no hope for improvement of my mother's Alzheimers, but I hope that she continues to be healthy.

No comments: