Saturday, January 27, 2018

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Heartbreak Hotel (1956)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Elvis checked in to the hotel at the end of Lonely Street. Where was the last hotel or motel you stayed at? It's been a year or two.  We stayed at one of the chain motels (I can't remember which) in Salinas on our way to Santa Barbara.  We don't usually make that trip in 2 days, but I wanted to stop and go through the Steinbeck museum.

2) He sings that Heartbreak Hotel is always crowded. The fear of crowds is so prevalent that it has four names (enochlophobia, ochlophobia, demophobia and agoraphobia). Are you comfortable in a crowd?
Mildly uncomfortable.  I don't panic like any of the medical definitions, but I'd rather be on the edge of a crowd than in the middle of one.

3) The desk clerk at Heartbreak Hotel is dressed black. Do you often wear all black?
Often.  Most of my slacks are black and many of my tops are black as well.  It's not a "signature look," just what I seem to keep buying.

4) The song was written by Mae Boren Axton, who said it was inspired by the story of an anonymous young man's suicide in a hotel. She said she read in The Miami Herald that the John Doe left behind a note that said, "I walk a lonely street." What's the last note you handwrote? (Hopefully it was more upbeat.) I sent a post card to my granddaughters from my teddy bear, Benny.  He is traveling around the country and this was a post card from a bovine jamboree in Wisconsin.

5) When Elvis was 11, his parents bought him a guitar. He had asked for a rifle, but his mama convinced him a guitar was a better idea. Tell us about a time one of your parents was right about something
I can't remember. It would have been a very long time ago, since my father has been dead 30 years and my mother's brain has been mush for about five.

6) Not long before "Heartbreak Hotel" was recorded, Elvis' father recommended he give up the guitar and become a truck driver. Tell us about a time one of your parents was wrong about something.
My father wanted me to study teaching in college because it was an "easy job," where you only worked until 3 each day, had 3 months off in the summer, and made a great salary.  I'm glad I didn't listen to him!

7) There are many stories about Elvis' manager, Col. Tom Parker. One anecdote, about his career before Elvis, has the Colonel painting sparrows yellow so he could sell them as canaries. Have you ever been ripped off? The last thing I was ripped off was for a gadget that will allow me to download photos from my cell phone to my computer, only when I got it, it does not work with an iPhone 7 (which the ads say that it does).  Naturally, there is no response to a request about returning it.  Anybody want it? 

8) Speaking of birds, Elvis
once owned a peacock. It damaged his cars, so he gave it to the Memphis Zoo. In earlier days, it might have been dinner, for peacock was considered a medieval delicacy. What's the last poultry you prepared?
We had chicken two nights ago.  I cook a lot of poultry, but haven't tried peacock yet.  I wonder if it tastes like chicken.

9)  Random question: You and a friend
have dinner at a restaurant. Your friend left her wallet at home, so you pick up the entire tab of $62, including tip. A few weeks later, you two meet for lunch and when the bill comes, she puts down half. Do you remind her that she still owes you $31 from the last time you dined together?
Sure.  We're old and forgetful.  I have two friends I have lunch with regularly and I would not feel uncomfortable reminding either of them that they owe me for the last time (and hope they would do the same for me!)

No comments: