Wednesday, September 27, 2017

The Worst Thing You Can Do

This is a video Ned posted today:




Trump has done it again.  In the midst of hurricane destruction of Florida and Houston and total devastation of Puerto Rico, the intensifying Russia investigation, threat of nuclear war with North Korea, discovery of use of private e-mail servers by his staff and I've lost count of whatever else important is going on in the world, he has managed to stir up a tempest in a teapot.  After trying to get an ESPN reporter fired for posting a comment on her own Twitter page on her own time, now he wants any athlete who refuses to stand for the playing of the national anthem fired because it shows disrespect to the flag.

What does the flag signify?  Trump would do well to check out the web site "I am the flag" In addition to explaining how the flag came to be and what the stars and stripes signify ("My colors symbolize the patriotic ideals and spiritual qualities of the citizens of my country.") it goes on to explain:
My red stripes proclaim the fearless courage and integrity of American men and boys and the self-sacrifice and devotion of American mothers and daughters.

My white stripes stand for liberty and equality for all.

My blue is the blue of heaven, loyalty, and faith.

I represent these eternal principles: liberty, justice, and humanity.

I embody American freedom: freedom of speech, religion, assembly, the press, and the sanctity of the home. ...
I am a living symbol of my nation's law: the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights....
Eternal vigilance is your price of freedom.
Now tell me how kneeling to honor those very principles is disrespecting the flag.  Watch Ned's video and tell me there is equality for all.  Tell me there is liberty, justice and humanity.  And if there is no equality or justice, how is it wrong to use the American right of "freedom of speech" to  non-violently make people think about the Constitution and what it guarantees every American citizen regardless of the color of their skin.

It seems to me that those athletes are honoring the flag the way it should be honored and those boo-ing them are showing disrespect to the principles for which the flag stands.

The flag continues...
I was created in freedom. I made my first appearance in a battle for human liberty.

God grant that I may spend eternity in my "land of the free and the home of the brave" and that I shall ever be known as "Old Glory," the flag of the United States of America.
Men and women have gone to wars over the years to preserve the principles represented by the flag and to non violently point out that we are a little lacking in some of those principles and that we can do better makes the sacrifice of those men and women worth it all.  They went to war to protect our freedom and now the president and a good portion of the American people who are boo-ing are laughing at their sacrifice and saying that they fought for nothing.

And by the way, I am disgusted that Trump also said that attendance at NFL games is for two reasons:  1) there is not enough violence and 2) people would rather stay home and watch him on television!!!!