Saturday, June 24, 2017

Saturday 9

First of all, Laurelie, you asked for the shrimp recipe.  I added it to the June 16 entry for you.  Now on to the business of the day:

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer questions, however, and here is today's questions!

Saturday 9: Listen to the Music (1972)
Because Zippi requested it.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) The lyrics say, "What the people need is a way to make them smile." What song lifts your spirits and makes you smile every time you hear it?
It's one of Lawsuit's songs, "Thank God, You're Doin' Fine," which always got audiences dancing and me smiling to listen to the song and watch people's reaction to it.  In more recognizable music it would be John Denver's "Grandma's Feather Bed" which is just a fun tune (especially in this rendition with the Muppets).

2) Lead vocalist/composer Tom Johnston reports that he's made a lot in royalties because so many radio stations use this as a jingle. Tell us a jingle that sticks in your head.
Oh I wish I were an Oscar Meyer wiener....

3) The Doobie Brothers got their start in San Jose, California. San Jose is the largest city in Northern California, thanks to all the tech companies that have headquarters there. Let's talk about the device you're on right now: are all your applications up to date?
Heavens no.  I hate updating.  My guru is always appalled whenever I call him (every few years) at how out of date my applications are.  I figure if they work fine for me now, I don't need an new bells and whistles.

4) When they were still a local band, the Doobie Brothers had a strong following among bikers. Are you attracted to biker culture?
Not at all.  Well, there is one part of biker culture that endears them to my heart.  It's that at Christmas time, all the bikers in California get together and bike en masse to the capitol in Sacramento to deliver Christmas gifts for kids.  There is nothing more endearing than watching some big leather-clad, tattooed, bejeweled biker with a Raggedy Ann doll on the back of his bike, or a tiny Chihuahua zippered in his jacket.

5) This week's song is from Toulouse Street, which is considered their "breakthrough" album. Tell us about a moment in your own life that you consider a "breakthrough."
I guess it was volunteering to "help" with putting together a record of The Lamplighters 25 year history.  I assisted on that book, made some of my best friends, and ten years later wrote a follow-up.  (Someone needs to write of the years post 1987, but I'm too old to do it now!)

6) In 1987, the Doobie Brothers did a benefit performance for Vietnam Veterans at the Hollywood Bowl. Next to the Beatles, it was the fastest-selling ticket in Hollywood Bowl history. Which group do you listen to more often -- the Doobies or the Beatles?
Since I've never heard the Doobies (that I know of) and have heard the Beatles (though am not a fan), I guess it would be the Beatles.

7) In 1972, when this song was popular, Wranglers were America's best-selling jeans. Are you brand-loyal to one jeans manufacturer?
I can't remember the last time I wore jeans!

8) Grocery stores saw seafood prices fluctuate wildly in 1972 because of a series of confrontations between the United Kingdom and Iceland regarding fishing rights in the North Atlantic. (Iceland won.) What was the most recent seafood dish that you enjoyed?
Last night I cooked Argentine Shrimp Chimichurri with polenta and it was quite tasty.

9) Random question: Which of these "top ten" lists would you prefer to be on -- the sexiest, the smartest or the richest?
Definitely the smartest.

No comments: