Friday, August 21, 2015

Today at Logos

Walt drove me down to work and helped me bring in 2 boxes and 1 bag of books that Char had sent home with me for Logos.  I guess Sandy is still vacationing, and Peter beat a hasty retreat as soon as I got there.  A woman who had followed me into the store had already selected a book and was ready to pay for it even before I got settled.

Our artist in residence this month brought in a replacement painting.  One had been sold so she took it down and replaced it with a new one she had just taken from a show at the Pence Gallery next door.  It's a simple little seed pod, but I really liked it (see Photo of the Day).  This is an original and "only" $800.


I watched a woman outside looking at the Bargain Books.  She had a cute little dog who looked like he could have some Corgi and some King Charles Spaniel in him.  When she came in to pay for the books, I found out his name was Rascal.


A group of 3 women came in while one bought 3 bargain books, then all three stood around the table in front reading the newspaper that lists activities going on in the area this week.

An old white-haired guy with a beard was checking out Sci Fi and ultimately bought two books by Orson Scott Card.

A woman bought 2 Hunger Games books and recounted her change when I gave it to her.  English was not her first language and she seemed to be having problems with the currency as well. I knew I had counted it right but when the next customer came awhile later, I realized I had overcharged her.  I charged her $12.85, which is what I thought the cash register said, but it only said $10.85.  But she was long gone by then.  Sorry, lady!

A guy wearing a white shirt with a dog facing forward, wearing a hat that said "off the Wall" came in and bought a bargain book American poetry and a non-bargain Danielle Steele.  He returned a few minutes later wondering if he had left his glasses behind.  He found them somewhere in the stacks and was very relieved.

Three Asian women walked in, as if they were doing synchronized swimming, walked to the back of the store, then back to the front and out again, still synchronized.

A mountain man type with unkempt hair and a luxurious chest-length beard (but very clean) came in.  He checked out Sci Fi, but didn't buy anything.

A blonde woman was wearing a lovely white crocheted dress.  It was too bad that she had horrible varicose veins (which I chose to cut out here...just wanted to show the lovely dress).


She was looking for a book on boot making or Native American art, neither of which we had.
A girl with a Pizza-a-Go-Go shirt who reminded me of Jeri about 15 years ago, bought a book titled "The Book of Laughter and Forgetting" by Milan Kundera.

A middle aged woman with a very friendly manner came in and said she really just came in for the music, which was playing overhead.  She bought two books about Paris and then complained about the commercial breaks on the radio station.

A guy wearing a shirt that said "TUNA" across the front and had a small tuna graphic on one shoulder in the back rushed in and handed me 3 books as a donation.

A short-ish woman with short curly black hair was wearing black pants and a black and white striped shirt.  I thought right away that I wondered if she was French because if she had worn a beret, she could have stepped out of a production of "American in Paris."  She was not French, but she did buy a French dictionary

A guy in black shorts and a red shirt (both neatly pressed) who just had the air of someone from a wealthy family came in looking for a book by Robert Greene.  He said it was probably business or psychology.  He didn't find what he was looking for and started striding purposefully toward the door, slowing as he did, looking at other book shelves.  He actually found another book by Robert Greene in the personal improvement section, so came back to pay for that ("he's hard to classify," he told me).  He had one of those three family names which further enhanced my sense that he may have grown up with a silver spoon in his mouth.

A nicely dressed middle aged woman wearing a stylish straw hat looked around for a long time and then bought  "The Zen Mind."  She said she was just in town briefly, looking around because she's considering moving here from Santa Rosa.

An Indian woman came in and bought a thick Spanish dictionary, and then before she left she also bought a thick German dictionary and asked me if they would be good for business.

My friend, back from two weeks of vacation arrived at 4:45.  We chatted about his time away and he mentioned that he is reading a new to him author, Scott Pratt, who sounds interesting.  He bought "Rules of Argument" and a book on medieval art.

A guy rushed in and threw $1 for a book he took off the Bargain Books an then raced out again.
A man bought seven geography books, and a bag, totaling $62.12, which may be my biggest sale ever.

A retired professor came in and wanted to donate all of his National Geographics, which, like everyone, he had collected for years.  I told him thanks, but no thanks.

A blonde woman with a goddess t-shirt said she had just graduated from UCD and could finally read books for fun again.  She bought two Mythology books.

Susan arrived and I didn't stay long because I had to catch the bus to get home.  I very nearly didn't make it, but did get to the bus stop 5 minutes before the bus arrived.  I enjoyed listening to my audio book all the way home.

When I got home, the dogs were hungry and all of our food is in the refrigerator in the garage, and I couldn't find the key  While I was looking for it, Lizzie escaped.  I knew I could never catch her, so I just closed the door, and assumed she would return soon.  I called Walt at Tahoe to ask what he had done with the key and he had forgotten to leave it for me, but told me where to find the duplicate.  While I was talking with him, I saw Lizzie on the lawn, so hung up on him and raced downstairs (well...as much as I can "race" these days) to call her in.  She came in and all was back to normal.  And now that I have the garage key, we won't starve for the next 3 days.

No comments: