Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sunday Stealing

From the now-defunct: Friday Feast

1. You have been awarded the time off from work and an all-expenses paid week anywhere in the United States. The catch is that it must be somewhere you have not been before. Where do you choose to visit?

A week, hmmm.... There are places I'd like to visit.  Maybe Branson, MO.   It sounds corny and I'm not really a big country music fan, though I enjoy it, but I've heard so much about it, I think I wouldn't mind spending a week there.  From what I've heard, there is enough night life to keep us going for 7 days.  Or, since this is all expenses paid, maybe Maui.  We've been to Oahu, Kaui and the Big Island, but not to Maui. 

2. Name your guilty pleasures.

Most of my pleasures are guilty, and most involve food. 

3. The best kind of milkshake is:

A chocolate malt.  The problem is that they don't make them any more, at least not the real malty ones that I remember from my childhood.  Either that or my taste buds are dying and I can't taste the malt.  My father's favoritest thing was to go to some soda shop (or the drink counter at our local drug store) and order a big, thick chocolate malt.

4. What do you value most in other people?

Loyalty, friendship, the ability to laugh together.

5. Be honest. Do you sneak some raw cookie dough when you’re baking cookies?

A better question would be "do you get any of the dough into the oven to cook?"  I love cookie dough.

6. Have you ever looked back at your life and realized that something you thought was a bad thing was actually a blessing in disguise?

I have learned through the tragedies in our lives that it really is true that when God shuts a door he opens a window.  I wouldn't say I think of either of our kids' deaths as "blessings in disguise," but if Paul hadn't died, I never would have met Steve Schalchlin, who became one of my best loved and most valued friends.  If my friend Gilbert hadn't died, I never would have been able to help the family through the aftermath of David's death, or realized that I was capable of writing a book. 

7. What is the most beautiful place you have ever visited?

We have seen so many beautiful places, but at the top of the list would have to be the Cliffs of Mohr in Ireland.  Spectacular.  Second might be Cinque Terra in Italy.  Gorgeous.  Some day I would like to see Iguacu falls in Brasil, which people have been encouraging us to see for decades, and see how that sight compares on the beauty scale with the Cliffs.

8. Are you more of a thinker or a feeler?

Definitely a feeler.  I am rarely a thinker.

9. Name three things you are thankful for right now.

* Today, air conditioning for sure!!!
* STARZ (which is airing Episode 1 of the Outlander mini series OnDemand right now)
* That I still have my mother in my life and that she is in good physical health (about to turn 95!)

10. Have you ever participated in a three-legged race?

Years and years and years ago.

11. When you are at an event that plays the National Anthem, do you place your hand over your heart?

Sometimes.  Not always.

12. Have you ever been on the wrong side of the law?

Only when I have driven too fast (managed to talk my way out of two speeding tickets...I don't speed any more)

13. When was the last time you unintentionally surprised someone else?

Thursday, when I showed up for lunch with my mother. I hadn't told her I was coming, but even if I had, she wouldn't have remembered, so I'm not sure that counts! 

14. When was the last time you deliberately surprised someone else?

I can't think of the last time I deliberatey surprised someone, but the best time I ever surprised someone was Walt's surprise 50th birthday party, 24 years ago. I will never be able to top that.

15. What was the last really funny movie you watched?

An oldie but goodie...I saw Waiting for Guffman a couple of weeks ago.   An hilarious movie especially for theater people.

Day 34:  Happiness is new fuzzy socks and Episode 1 of a long-awaited series!

1 comment:

Kwizgiver said...

Guffman is a hilarious movie!