Monday, February 24, 2014

Sunday Stealing

What was your first job like?
I washed test tubes and poopy specimen containers in a Medical Arts laboratory.   I also held down the arms of terrified patients when they were having blood drawn (that was my favorite part of the job)  (I was also a babysitter, of course!   But the lab job was my first "real" grown-up-ish job)

It’s a typical Sunday, how are you spending it?
Watching an NCIS marathon.

What was the happiest day of your life?
Oh there have been so many.  One I rarely mention in questions like this is a day at the Whole Earth Festival at UC Davis when Lawsuit was playing.  They had been relegated to a "minor" stage and we got there early so I could set up the camera to videotape the show.  Incredibly, people began pouring in from all over campus.  They filled the plaza, hung out on all the balconies of the building, and even climbed the trees to see the show.  That was where my favorite picture of Paul (which I have posted many times) was taken, being carried aloft on the hands of the crowd while on the balcony, by herself in the crowd, my mother (circled) watched.




What was the best decision you ever made?
Again, there have been so many, but there are two that stand out as decisions that changed my life. The first was agreeing to host a Brasilian student for 3 weeks, which turned into 5 months and 10 years of hosting foreigners.  The second was answering a call for someone to help write a 25 year history of The Lamplighters, which resulted in my meeting many of my best friends, having a great experience, writing my own follow-up ten years later, and a continuing involvement with the company since that time.

Tell your go-to “pretend” game as a child (who was your alter-ego?)
Oh this is so sad.  It was when I must have been in the lower grades of grade school and we had done some sort of a lesson on anthromorphizing inanimate objects.   I decided that the toilet paper dispenser in one of the bathroom stalls could understand me and whenever I needed to talk to "someone" I would go into the bathroom and pour out my soul to the dispenser that I called "Knowy" (short for "nobody knows").

What email service do you use?
Davis Community Network and Gmail

What fandoms would you consider yourself a part of?
None.

Do you use anything on your lips? (eg. Chapstick, gloss, balm, lipstick)
No.  My dentist keeps reminding me to use chapstick, but I never remember.

How many devices do you own which can access the internet?
Lessee -- desktop, laptop, iPad, iPod Touch, cell phone, Kindle.  I think that's it.   (That's more than enough!)

Last strong smell you can remember smelling?
The coffee Walt made an hour ago.  If you mean unpleasantly strong smell, it would have been many, many years ago, in Austin, Texas, when I smelled durian fruit.   A not pleasantly memorable memory!

If you had to move your birthday to another date, which one would you choose and why?
Why would I?  After 71 years, it would just be confusing.

Inspiration behind your blog title?
The Lawsuit song, "Funny"
    Funny the world in a world all alone
    I feel like I've lost everything that I own
    Funny the funnies aren't funny any more.
    Funny the tears as they fall from my eyes
    There are two kinds of tears--
    one from truth, one from lies
    There's a broken soldier,
    who's going home...
It was these lyrics that I first thought of after David died, and then Paul died and I started a blog, so that's why I adopted the lyrics for my title. 

If you could spend a rainy day with anyone in the world, who would you choose and why?
I don't know anybody who enjoys rain the way I do, so I guess I would be alone with the dogs.

Is there a foreign culture that you love?
In the years when we hosted foreign students, I really loved the idea of Brasilian culture, but suspect that I would not fit in at all were I to move to Brasil.

Do you have a favorite soft drink?
My go-to non-alcoholic drink is water and on the very rare occasions when I have a soft drink, it's Diet Coke.

No comments: