Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunday Stealing

Book Meme
(This one is right up my alley!)
1: Favorite children's book
Hmmm.  For ME as a child, or to read to a child? My first favorite book as a child was "The Black Stallion," which sparked my love of books about animals. Favorite book that I read when our kids were growing up was "I'm Suzy," which was Jeri's favorite book.

2: The last book you've read
I just finished a sweet little book called "Cat Chat," which I picked up at Logos this week...nothing special, just a nice book.

3: Books on your "to read" list
How much time do you have? Dozens.  I have to finish "Upstairs at the White House" and "40 Years of Chez Panisse" (my next book club book), for starters.

4: Top 5 authors
John Steinbeck, Bill Bryson, Pat Conroy, Diana Gabaldon, Tess Gerritson

5: Favorite genres
Mystery/Crime; Biography, Travel, History, and whatever "The Outlander" series is classed as!

6: A book that has made you extremely mad
"Left Behind."  I was so furious at the blatant proselitizing that I threw the book across the room when I was about halfway through it and never finished it.

7: A book that you've cried over
Oh Lord.  I can cry at anything.  Any story about a dog usually has me in tears.  Any book where the central character dies usually has me crying.  Any story about a sick child gets me. 

8: A book that made you laugh out loud
"Fried Eggs with Chopsticks," a book about traveling in China by Polly Evans.  I identified with many of her situations.  Runner up:  "Weird Things Customers say in Book Stores" by Jen Campbell.  Hilarious, especially if you work in a book store!  (This week I was asked if I had any books by Ovid, "I don't know his first name.")

9: Fiction or nonfiction?
Yes.  I'll read anything if it's well written.

10: First book you've read by your favorite author
First book by Steinbeck was "East of Eden," first book by Conroy was "Prince of Tides," first book by Bryson was "The Mother Tongue," first book by Gabaldon was "Outlander," and I don't remember the first Gerritsen book I read.

11: Best book-to-movie adaption
Book-to-movie adaptations are generally disappointing, but I think they did a good job with "Gone with the Wind."

12: Do you read comics/manga?
No.

13: Hardcovers or Paperbacks?
Hard cover or Kindle, both of which are easier on my eyes than paperbacks.

14: Do you buy books as soon as they come out or wait a while?
A very few I buy right away (I have already pre-ordered Gabaldon's latest, which comes out in June), but usually I wait.

15: Do you buy books spontaneously without any prior knowledge of what happens in it?
I work in a book store.  Of course I do!

16: Have you ever bought a book based on the cover alone?
I work in a book store.  Of course I do!

17: Where do you usually buy your books?
Amazon.com or Logos Books

18: Book that had a strong impact on you
I am still thinking about "Babi Yar," which I read after visiting Kiev.

19: Historical or science fiction?
Sorry, David (Gerrold), but historical (though I have read all of David's early books, up until about 2000)

20: Dystopian or Utopian?
I have no strong feelings about either. If I have to choose, probably dystopian.

21: Worst book-to-movie adaption?
PRINCE OF TIDES!!!!!  Barbra Streisand should be horsewhipped for what she did to that book!

22: Book that should have a movie adaption?
"Outlander" ... and it will, on Starz later this year.

23: The first book you've fallen in love with
"Marjorie Morningstar."  I read that book until the pages fell out of it when I was in high school. (Come to think of it, that was a pretty horrible book-to-movie too!)

24: Humor or angst?
Oh angst is much more interesting.

25: How many books do you own?
Enough to start a small library.  There is no room in this house which is not filled with books, except the bathrooms upstairs (there is a book in the bathroom downstairs)

26: Do you go the library?
I am embarrassed to admit that I never go to the library.  The problem is that sometimes it takes me a long time to read a book, and I would not be able to finish within the time allotted.  That said, I can also read a 300-400 book in a couple of days if I put my mind to it.  But I have so many books at home waiting to be read that there is little reason to go to the library.

27: How many books do you read a year?
Last year I read 34; the year before I read 78 (I must have been busier last year...or read longer books...also I didn't finish nearly as many audio books because my mother moved to Davis!)  So far this year I have read 6.

28: Favorite "required reading" book?
Not sure what "required reading" means, but I always recommend "The Mother Tongue" to someone looking for something unusual to read.

29: Favorite quote?
The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal.
C.S. Lewis

30: A book you absolutely hate
"The Stupidest Angel" by Christopher Moore.  I read it for book club, hating every page.  I decided it should be called "The Stupidest Book."   There were others in the book club who agreed with me. Runner up would be "Zoo" or "Cross Country," by James Patterson, who should be shot for publishing some of the crap he's published since he became a book-writing factory.,

No comments: