Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Those BIG Puppies

It was nearly 5 p.m. before I realized I was still in my pajamas. I had been working on photos and videos from Christmas as well as videos of the puppies ever since I woke up and hadn't even thought about getting dressed.

I will soon be flooding the internet with mind-numbingly boring Christmas videos, but--hey--I'm a grandmother now, and I gather that's one of the perks! Who's going to deny me the opportunity to bore the world with videos of the back of Bri's head and lengthy discourses which are totally unintelligible because of the combination of baby-speak and bad video microphone? I can feel the anticipation in the reading audience already.

However, I start the flood of videos with what is probably going to be the last video of the puppies (though I may take more tomorrow). They are moving to a new foster home tomorrow afternoon. It was with heavy heart that I made the request to move them, but there was so much potential serious trouble brewing with the big dogs, who barely tolerate the puppies and the puppies, who are now big enough to demand rough play (plus Polly who just stood in my chair, whined pathetically and tried to get me to pick her up!) that I could not see trying to ride herd on this crew for much longer. The puppies need more room to run around in. Luckily today it was not raining and they had some good runs outside, but inside, they need to be locked up and that doesn't seem fair if there is some better solution.

We can separate the big dogs from the little dogs, but that presents a problem if Sheila and Lizzie want to go outside.

The decision of When To Move the Puppies is always a difficult one, but it's even more difficult when you have thoroughly enjoyed a particular litter.

WaltPuppies.jpg (36257 bytes)

The girls are such fun to watch, and so inquisitive that they have learned a lot on their own very quickly.

PattyDogDoor.jpg (48179 bytes)
Patty may have weaned last, but she was the first
to figure out how to get through the dog door!

And everybody is in love with plotzy Max, who just wants to go limp in your lap but isn't terribly bright.

LaverneMax.jpg (45055 bytes)
Laverne lording it over her brother because she and Patty
have come into the house thru the dog door, and he
can't figure out how they did it.

So we will miss them, but it's time to tell them goodbye. My plan is to take a break from fostering for awhile (and there's still Polly in the mix) but I know that all it takes is a good sob story, or a litter of orphans and that resolve will go by the wayside.

(Shhh...don't tell the SPCA that!)




No comments: