Monday, October 18, 2010

Meme Time

I'm feeling lazy tonight, so I thought I would do a meme.

What do you like about Fall?
We don't get the brilliant fall color that the northeast does, but I do love the trees that change color. I love the crunch of dead leaves under my feet. I love the cooler weather!

How many states have you lived in?
Only one--just California.

What cities/towns have you lived in?
I was born in San Francisco, moved to Berkeley, then to Albany (next door to Berkeley), then to Oakland and in 1973 moved to Davis, where we have been ever since. So, five total.

Do you prefer shoes, socks, or bare feet?
There was a time when I preferred bare feet, but these days I seem to prefer either Birkinstocks or socks. Don't enjoy bare feet any more.

Are you a social person?
Yes, but my bashfulness may make me seem less social than I really am.

What was the last thing you ate?
An apple.

What is your favorite restaurant?
We don't eat in fancy restaurants enough for me to have a favorite, so I'll say that my favorite around here is Red Lobster, just because they have great crab legs and their biscuits are fantastic.

What is your favorite ice cream?
Peanutbutter cup or Butter Pecan.

What is your favorite dessert?
Creme Brulee, I think

What is your favorite kind of soup?
There is a soup I haven't made in a while, but it was always my favorite--a middle eastern lamb soup. But I am learning to love butter squash soup made with coconut milk.

What kind of jelly do you like on your PB & J sandwich?
Any kind of berry. I think blackberry is my favorite for a sandwich, though I usually have strawberry around and that's good too.

Do you like Chinese food?
Love it! It's usually my #1 choice for which ethnic restaurant to choose, unless I'm feeling like Mexican or Indian.

Do you like coffee?
Is the Pope Catholic? Yes. I'll drink anything, but my preference is Peet's French Roast freshly ground (and not made as strong as they make it at Peet's!)

How many glasses of water, a day, do you drink on average?
Lots and lots and lots. I've always been a big water drinker. I probably drink a half a gallon of water a day (or more), but I've never counted.

What do you drink in the morning?
Water, sometimes juice, sometimes coffee.

What non-banking related card in your wallet is the most valuable to you?
Hmmm...I don't carry that many cards, so I guess I'll say my Borders rewards card, though my life wouldn't be over if I ever lost it!

Do you know how to play poker?
Not well. But I'm pretty good at cards, so with a refresher course in rules of various games, and a little practice, I think I could be pretty good.

Have you ever been to Canada?
We went to Canada on our honeymoon and always said we'd go back. We did a couple of years ago when we went to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

Do you have an addictive personality?
You think I got this big body by accident? Of course I have an addictive personality. I come from a long line of addictive people.

Do you eat out or at home more often?
We eat out rarely. I'd love to eat out more often, but a look at the prices and realizing how little it would cost at home keeps me from suggesting it more often.

What do you miss about high school, if anything?
The camaraderie. I really loved high school. I loved the friends I had there. I loved the activities I was involved in. I miss some of my teachers (almost all of whom have died by now).

Do you know anyone with the same birthday as you?
One of my Compassion sponsored kids, Shallon, in Uganda, shares my birthday. So does Hal Holbrook. And Roberta, with whom I used to work.

Do you speak any other languages?
I was a French major and bit of it comes back to me when I need it. At one point I was "conversant" in Portuguese, though I haven't spoken it in years.

Have you ever gotten stitches?
I took a spectacular fall on some ice at Lake Tahoe and split my head. Fortunately I was with a group of Chileans at the time and their leader was a physician, so he said I needed stitches. I think I had seven of them, and then the Chilean physician removed them for me to save me a trip to the hospital.

Have you ever ridden in an ambulance?
After I had my bike accident and dislocated my shoulder, I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Weird sensation!

Do you prefer an ocean or a pool?
Pool, definitely. I don't like the feeling of salt water on my skin or the hassle of getting sand off of me after getting out of the water.

Do you prefer a window seat or an aisle seat?
Window. With a window seat, I can lean my head against the window and go to sleep. I don't think I've ever been able to sleep in an aisle seat.

Do you know how to drive stick?
Sure do. My parents didn't have an automatic when I was learning to drive and I learned to drive (and parallel park!) on one of the steepest streets in San Francisco. I don't think I could do that now, but if I had to drive a stick, I could, easily.

What is your favorite thing to spend money on?
Books (regular books, kindle books or audio books!)

2 comments:

Empress68 said...

Thanks, Bev. I'll be borrowing that soon. I need a distraction from local politics and the candidates who don't understand economics.

jon said...

I liked your Meme today. I may have to do one.
I feel lazy also.