Sunday, October 31, 2010

I Wasn't There

There was a happening in Washington, D.C. today too...but I missed it. My friend Lynn Schimmel (from the days when I worked at Women's Health) was there and from the look of her photo, it seems she got pretty close to the stage.

LMSPic.jpg  (129049 bytes)

Shelly and Ellen were there too, but I don't know how close they got...this was a rare news event where they were not interviewed or photographed!

Blogger Joe.My.God was there, sort of, but apparently the metro was such a nightmare...

metro.jpg  (21701 bytes)

metro2.jpg  (24806 bytes)

...that his group had to walk "miles" (possibly an exaggeration) and were so far from the Jumbotrons that they missed most of what was going on on stage. So he missed this amazing closing speech by Jon Stewart. I was so moved by it that I watched it with tears streaming down my face.

I hope everyone will spend the 12 minutes it takes to watch it. What does it say about our country that our most eloquent speakers are found on Comedy Central.

comedysignsm.jpg (122156 bytes)
"Borrowed" from The Huffington Post

Will Rogers would be so proud.

2 comments:

l'empress said...

"What does it say about our country that our most eloquent speakers are found on Comedy Central?"

The first thing that came to my mind was, I'm thankful that an outlet exists for bright, funny people who can make others think. It doesn't matter what you call the network. After all, it's easy enough to elicit a laugh by referring to Fox Network.

Kwizgiver said...

I have a few friends who were there and they sent pictures of the signs. I loved all the signs. They were spelled correctly!

::mingle::