Monday, December 21, 2009

Driving Miss Millie

It was a very long day and I'm about to sink into what I hope will be a blissfull slumber.

It started around 5:30 a.m. when I was wide awake and watched the Sex and the City movie, which I had never seen before. It was OK, but I wasn't swept away

At around 10 a.m. I drove Walt to Ned & Marta's house, the plan being to pick up Jeri, take them to downtown Sacramento, where they were going to see The Nutcracker today, then drive out to Peach & Bob's to get my mother and drive her home.

I drove to Ned & Marta's but when I got there, everyone was disappointed that I hadn't brought Grandma, so I drove out to Peach & Bob's then and picked her up and brought her back to Ned & Marta's. We visited a bit and then I took Walt and Jeri to the Community Center and then headed for San Rafael.

ASIDE: I notice that my mother has much more difficulty remembering things the farther she is from home. It's not an Alzheimers type of memory loss, just a 90-years-old short-term memory, but it's difficult for her to remember who is going where or what we are going to do when we get there sometimes and I find myself answering the same questions 2, 3, 4, 5 or more times in a short period of time. It makes me realize that I am starting the same kind of memory loss and it shows me what I have to look forward to (the up side being that you don't KNOW that you don't remember because...well...you don't remember not remembering!)

We stopped en route to run a couple of errands, including having a big Mexican burrito for lunch. The last about 20 minutes of the drive, I was seriously fighting sleep, so when I got to my mother's I literally collapsed on the couch and slept for about an hour, until a phone call from Bob, checking to see if she had made it home all right, woke me up.

It was dusk and I wanted to drive as much as I could back to Davis before it got completely dark, so I got on the road. It was about 6:30 when I got here. Jeri and Walt had taken the bus home from Sacramento and they were ready for Family Movie Night.

Every year when Jeri comes home at Christmas, we try to pick a movie and go together to see it. This year we chose The Princess and the Frog, which was a much better movie than I expected. Loved the New Orleans feel to what was essentially a broad re-working of The Wizard of Oz, with a love interest thrown in. But really, really good.

FrogPrincess.jpg (48292 bytes)

After the movie, we tried to find a place to eat, but there are very few restaurants open in Davis at 9:30 on Sunday night, so we finally ended up at Stave's pizza, the sign to which said it was open until 10. We each had a salad and an individual pizza and brought home enough leftovers for breakfast and lunch tomorrow. We were the last customers to leave the place.

StevesChairs.jpg (41545 bytes)

I got home in time to watch the end of Survivor, which I had DVRd. The ending was pretty much as I had anticipated and I was happy with the outcome. I was also happy that I could zip through all the boring parts and just get to the finale in less than 2 hours!

Now Dexter is barking and barking and barking and letting me know that he is tired of my fooling around on the computer and he wants me to bring him his lap right NOW so he can sleep.

I'm glad I don't have to drive anywhere tomorrow.

2 comments:

Indigo said...

I've heard that The Princess and the Frog is excellent! I can't wait to see it.

Bev Sykes said...

You'll love it.