Sunday, August 13, 2017

Sunday Stealing

Cheers to all of us thieves!

These questions were on a site by Debbie Hodge, which apparently once had more blog content, but now seems to be mostly devoted to scrapbooks -- content, supplies, etc.
The artwork is by Picasso.
When I chose these, they looked easy.  Answering them today, however, is more difficult than I expected!

1.  What is the favorite piece of art you own.
This papier mache figure of actor Gilbert Russak in one of his signature roles as Jack Point in Yeomen of the Guard.  After Gilbert died, his family let me take this for myself (there was a second such figure of Gilbert in The Mikado, which his niece took).

2.  The most expensive bill you paid last month.
I help support several children through Compassion, Int'l and that takes just about all of my Social Security check each month (household expenses come out of our joint account; these come out of my personal account)

3.  What’s the last thing you apologized for?
I am constantly apologizing to the dogs for making them get out of my chair when it's my turn to sit in it!

4.  If you could do today over, would you change anything?
I would use my magic powers to close Charlottesville (and anywhere else) to white supremacists.

5.  What is the largest TV screen in your house?
I'm not sure.  36"?  We can't get a HUGE screen because it won't fit, but this is pretty darn big.

6.  What did you buy today?
A Spiralizer (for turning vegetables into curliques).  The Pioneer Woman was using one.  I'd wanted one for some time and I was inspired to buy it.

7.  I wish I had ____
a green thumb.  At this time of year, those home grown tomatoes and basil in the Barefoot Contessa's garden sure look good!

8.  How many photos did you take today?
Just the one of the figurine above.

9.  Last thing you wanted and didn’t get.
A quiet afternoon with my grandkids.  Should never try that after 3 days of frantic activity, especially with Uncle Ned.  I tried, but gave up eventually.  The girls needed to be alone.

10.  What was the last new thing you tried?
A 3-generation, multi-media book club, led by my 9 year old granddaughter, with participation by Jeri on Facetime from Boston.  It was great.

11.  Who is your hero?
A lot of my heroes. like Jane Goodall, work with animals, but since this is World Elephant Day, I'm choosing Dame Daphne Sheldrick, who rescues orphan elephants in Kenya and raises at them at the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust until they are able to return to the wild.

12.  Today I feel really secure knowing ____
That we have a competent person running the government (you may stop laughing now -- yes, I'm kidding).  I'm secure knowing that I'm as old as I am and hopefully I'll be dead and gone before he blows up the planet (though that might be this month, so maybe not)

13.  Whose life did you make a difference in today?
I don't know how much difference it makes, but it makes me feel good whenever I write to one of the 20 kids I sponsor.  I'd like to think it makes a difference, at least temporarily.

14.  What would have made today perfect?
There is no way to make a day when there is so much violence in this country perfect, but if the president had called out the white suprememists instead of putting the violence on everyone equally it might have been better.  Instead it was left to Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe to address the nation.  After thanking civilians that helped serve and protect earlier today, he then turned to address what he called out by name as “the white supremacists and the Nazis who came into Charlottesville today. ” His simple and plain message was “go home.” He then went on to savage members of this hate group in a very strong and confident manner, saying: You are not wanted in this great commonwealth. Shame on you. You pretend that you are patriots, but you are anything but a patriot. You want to talk about patriots, talk about Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, who brought our country together. Think about the patriots today, the young men and women, who with wearing the cloth of our country.

Somewhere around the globe they are putting their life in danger. They are patriots. You are not. You came here today to hurt people. And you did hurt people. My message is clear, we are stronger than you. You have made our commonwealth stronger. You will not succeed. There is no place for you here. There is no place for you in America.

No.  Today was not perfect.
[quote from Mediaite]
15.  Did you thank anybody today?
I thanked my mother's step-son when he told me that he was going to visit her and that I could take the day off.

Bonus: If you were a Muppet, which would you be?

No comments: