Sunday, October 23, 2016

Sunday Stealing


Bookish Questions

1. How long did it take you to finish your last book?
The last book I finished was "The Cat Who Went to Paris" a book I picked up at the book store where I volunteer.  I finished it during my four hour shift. I always have three or four books going, including the one I'm listening to in the car, which may take weeks or months to finish (usually I have two books going in the car, one that I listen to while driving around town, one that Walt and I listen to together on trips out of town.  On a trip to Santa Barbara we finish a book in 2 days, but if we aren't traveling much, it could take months to finish.

2. How many times do you stare at your bookshelves each day?
There are bookcases in every room of this house, so constantly.

3. How many Goodreads friends/books do you have?
182 friends, 357 books.  I don't remember when I joined, but I only add books that I have read, not books that I am currently reading or want to read.

4. Do you ever quote books in public?
Often.  I quote books and movies.  I have no original material.

5. Do you ever re-read books?
I have, but not now.  I have so many on my "want to read" list that I have no time to go back and re-read old friends. My favorite re-read was "East of Eden," which I think I read 3 times, once along side Steinbeck's "Journal of a Novel," which is a collection of letters he wrote to his publisher while writing the novel.  Reading those two books together is a fascinating experience.

6. Do you judge a book by its cover?
Yes, and no.  My choice of a book is based on many things, friends' reviews, reviews I've read, recommendations in TV interviews, or, sometimes, the cover.  A lot of the books I choose are kindle downloads where I don't even see the book cover.

7. Do you take pictures of your books before you read them?
Only the books I read at the book store, which get posted as the Photo of the Day on Funny the World.


8. What are your biggest distractions from reading?
TV...though many times I read while watching TV.

9. Where is your favorite place to buy books?
Apologies to lots of people, but Amazon.  Most of my books come as Kindle books through Amazon. Second would be Logos books, the used bookstore where I work.  It's a dangerous place for a volunteer to work!!!

10. Do you always have a book with you?
Always.  I learned that a long time ago.  I almost always have my Kindle, which means that I don't get upset when I have to wait in line or at the doctor's office...it's always a chance to read my book. (I also always read during intermission of shows I'm reviewing).  Having an audio book is wonderful for coping with the frustration of traffic is much less if I'm engrossed in a book.

11. Do you read during breakfast?
No.  I never got into the habit of reading while eating.  Sometimes if I'm eating in a restaurant alone, I will try to read, but it's often difficult because the table is too far from my eyes.

12. How many hours a day would you say you read?
It varies a lot.  Sometimes less than one, sometimes more than four.

13. Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago?
About the same, I'd say.

14. Do you consider yourself a speed reader?
I've always wanted to be a speed reader, but the older I get, the slower I read.

15. Do you read in bed?
No.  First of all, I don't sleep in a bed, but when I do try to read while going to sleep, I am good for a page or maybe two before I fall asleep.

16. How old were you when you got your first library card?

I don't know, but sometime during grammar school.  I went to the library once a week, picked out six books, and walked the mile home, uphill (really!)

1 comment:

Kwizgiver said...

You're listed twice in Goodreads--I sent a friend request.