Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Learning the Lingo

One of the things I wanted to do here was to have breakfast at Dunkin' Donuts, which are perhaps more plentiful than Starbucks.  There seems to be a shop in every block.  Dunkin' is everywhere.

So this morning Walt and I went off to the closest Dunkin' Donuts, about 2 long blocks from Jeri's.  We were happy to note that Dunkin' now boasts dark roast coffee.

My go-to donut is always the raised glazed donut, with second being a sugar donut. Well, Dunkin' doesn't have sugar, so I ordered 2 glazed and dark roast coffee.  She asked if I wanted it black.  I said yes.  She asked if I wanted sugar.  I said no.

When the coffee arrived, it had milk in it.  I complained that I had ordered dark roast, black.  Turns out that "black" means you want milk in it!  Who knew? A Bostonian on Facebook tells me that I must have misunderstood, and that "regular" means milk and sugar, but not one, but three people told me that "black" coffee came with milk.

The donuts were terrible.  I mean, I'm sure they were fine, but too sweet for me.  I like my glaze to be minimal and this was anything but minimal.  (I don't like Krispy Kreme for the same reason.)  But I ate them.  Then we walked home.

By the time we got here, the donuts were not settling well in my stomach.  Our plan had been to go to the Maparium at the Christian Science Center Library, which is just a block from Berklee, but all I wanted to do was lie down until the donuts settled, so I sent Walt off on his own, knowing he could cover more ground and probably have a better time without me anyway.  I was asleep in minutes and didn't wake up until Jeri returned to drop off Lester and head off to work.

I was feeling better, so I had some lunch, which sat well, and watched some stuff on my iPad. Walt came home shortly after Phil and we made plans to leave for the Red Sox game.  We met Jeri near her office and walked to Fenway Park.


Our seats were in the last row behind home plate, but that's where we sit for Giants games and I love it.


This was not a good food day for me.,  Walt got me a hot dog, which I requested with mustard and onions.  I'm not sure exactly what this is.


It was served on a slice of bread which fell apart the first time I picked it up, the mustard was gloppy and the onions weren't chopped raw, as I'm used to, but cooked limp with green peppers (which I don't like).  I ended up just eating the meat and leaving everything else.

The game had its highs and lows, and its dramatic moments...


We had hopes that when the Sox scored a run in the 4th inning and kept it through the 6th inning that maybe things would turn out all right.  That was before Tampa Bay scored 5 runs in the top of the 8th.  We stayed till the bitter end, but the final score was 5-2.

When the game was over, we walked to the T stop and road the T to where Jeri had parked the car earlier in the day, and then drove home.  We are all exhausted.  Walt and I have a taxi call for 7:30 and I still have to pack, so when I post this, I am shutting down the computer and won't connect again until we are back in Davis.

This has been just a fantastic week and I'm so glad that we came!  (But I miss our dogs, so I'm ready to go home.)


2 comments:

Mary Z said...

John did some work in Boston years ago. His favorite story is about trying to get some coffee in a diner, and not understanding what the waitress was asking when she asked "do you want your coffee regular?" After explanations, they finally decided he wanted "irregular" coffee.

Harriet said...

The way I manage now is, "you can fill the cup; I don't add creamer." Darned shame when people serving the public -- whether direct or management -- can't get their stories straight. They should have replaced your coffee.