Sunday, June 1, 2014

Sunday Stealing

1) Where would you retire to?
I guess I'm here, since I'm retired and still living in the home we've lived in for the past nearly-41 years.

2) What are your best physical features?
I have a left shoulder-blade that is a miracle of loveliness. People come miles to see it. My right elbow has a fascination that few can resist

3) What are your best characteristics?
My sense of humor, my loyalty, my love for my friends

4) What kind of books do you like to read?
Crime novels, mostly, biographies, travel narratives, but pretty much anything interesting.

5) What are you reading now?
I'm finishing the 7th book of Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series because the 8th book will be released in two weeks; I'm also reading Ruth Rendell's "A Judgement in Stone," and we are almost finished listening to David Baldacci's "King and Maxwell," our current audio book.

6) Where would you want to retire to?
See question #1

7) What is your favorite time of the day?
I think it's between 5 and 6 a.m., when I am awake, I have moved to the recliner, the dogs are asleep, Walt is asleep, I can check e-mail on my iPad and don't feel guilty for watching TV and/or going back to sleep instead of doing some straightening up around the house.  It's my alone time.  I love it.

8) Where did you grow up?
San Francisco, on the edges of both North Beach and Russian Hill, walking distance from Fisherman's Wharf.

9) How far away from your birthplace do you live now?
80 miles east.

10) Are you a morning person or a night owl?
Yes.  As I said, I am usually awake between 5 and 6 a.m. and it is rare for me to go to sleep before midnight or 1 a.m.

11) What inspires you?
Selfless compassion.

12) Can you close your eyes and raise your eyebrows?
Is that supposed to be difficult to do?  Of course I can.

13) Do you have pets?
Three dogs -- Sheila (Aussie Shepherd/Rottweiler mix), Lizzie (a tall Benjy) and Polly (the obnoxious Chihuahua mix I swore I'd never have).

14) How many rings before you answer the phone?
If I'm at my desk, with the phone at my elbow, I answer as soon as I can see on Caller ID who it is.  If I'm in my recliner, it takes me 3-4 rings to get out from under the dog, lower the footrest, get the iPad put away, and get to the phone.

15) What are some of the different jobs that you have had in your life?
Test tube washer in a medical arts laboratory, biller-clerk in a cheap tool office, secretary for three physics professors at UC Berkeley, typist in two different typing services, secretary in a law office (the worst of the jobs), medical transcription for most of my "career," substituting in every medical office in Davis until I got a permanent job in ob/gyn, medical office manager for two different offices, and theater critic.

16) Any new and exciting things that you would like to share?
Good lord--is this my mother asking the question?  She asks me this several times a day!  The only exciting thing recently is that we sat in $200 seats when I went to review Wicked last night.  It's lovely to be a critic and get the seats for free!

17) What is most important in life?
Family.  I'm lucky that I have such a good blood family, and such good extended family and that everybody gets along with everybody else.

18) Did you dream last night?
Not that I remember.

19) Do you remember your dreams?
Once in awhile, but usually no.

No comments: