Wednesday, July 4, 2012

What do the Simple Folk Do?

There is a lyric from Camelot, a duet sung by the King and Guinevere, both of whom are in the doldrums.

What do the simple folk do
To help them escape when they're blue?
The shepard who is ailing, the milkmaid who is glum
The cobbler who is wailing from nailing his thumb
When they're beset and besieged
The folk not noblessly obliged
However do they manage to shed their weary lot?
Oh, what do simple folk do we do not?

I thought of that song today, as Walt and I had a lazy day.  

What do the older folk do
To keep from becoming cuckoo...
...However do they manage to shed their weary lot?
Oh, what do older folk do we do not?

They nap.  That's what older folk do!

We had nothing pressing today.  It was a work day for the adults and a school/day care day for the kids and we had no errands to run.  We could have gone for a drive, or something, but as we sat here at our computers, I realized I really was sleepy.

I'd been awakened at 5 a.m. with horrible leg and foot cramps in both legs and feet.  This has been a problem that has plagued me ever since I started birthin' babies.  I know that it is easily cured by standing on a cold floor.  Fixes it in seconds. But the problem is that you are lying down when they hit and you have to get to a sitting position, and then to a standing position and then walk to the cold floor.  Each movement brings another cramp.  It only lasts seconds, but those are long seconds!  By the time the cramps had stopped, I was wide awake and so, not surprisingly, by 10 or so, I was sleepy.  So I decided to lie down for a bit.  I was asleep instantly and awoke a little more than an hour later.

Walt was gone when I woke up.  He had gone to the travel store to find a map of the river system on which we will be traveling next week.  After he got back, he had some lunch, started reading his travel books and in minutes he was asleep too!


 What with the napping and the computer and my having a fabulous time learning Instagram (if you have it for your iPhone or android, please let me know and I will follow you!) it was nearly 5 before we left the house. 
My plan had been to make Tom his favorite cake, which I just learned yesterday is chocolate cake with strawberries and whipped cream.  Only this is not the house of a baker and to make a cake I would to buy equipment that I had at home and it just didn't seem practical.  Instead we went back to Von's Supermarket and picked up a cake.  I also got eggs and mayonnaise for doing stuffed eggs, which I will boil tonight and stuff tomorrow.

In the evening we had a nice dinner and waited up until 10, when the train bearing Ned and Marta (who have been visiting Marta's family in Oklahoma) was due to arrive.  Alice, Walt and I drove down to the train station, where we would meet Tom:


Tom eventually arrived just as the train was pulling into the little station.


(see the light of the approaching train over Walt's shoulder?)

When it finally arrived, a bedraggled Ned and Marta staggered off.  They had started at around 5 in the morning in Oklahoma and had been on 3 planes and a train and they were exhausted.  I could tell Ned was exhausted because he didn't even mug for the camera when I took his picture!


We sent them off to spend the night at Tom's and we came home to begin making preparations for the big barbeque tomorrow.  As I prepared to come into the dining room to write this entry, Joe and Alice were on the phone to Tom conferring about marinades and rubs and all sorts of stuff.


As soon as everyone clears out of the kitchen, I have 36 eggs to boil.

No comments: