Thursday, January 13, 2011

First Meme of the New Year

I hadn't thought about doing a meme, but came across this one that I sort of liked, so...why not...? It came from a blog called Where's My Plan, who says she got it from a blog called Stone Castles and Night Skies.

1. Where did you grow up? Where do you consider home?

An interesting couple of questions. The first is easy. I grew up in San Francisco and have only lived in California. As for "where do I consider home?" up until maybe 15 years ago, I would have considered San Francisco my home, even though I hadn't lived there since 1960. But San Francisco has changed, and I have changed and I think that I really consider Davis my home now. San Francisco is someplace I love to visit, but would not like to live there again.

2. If you could paint your car any color with no loss in value, what color would it be?

Well, I don't expect it would affect the value any, but I would love to have a bright, bright red car. Basically I don't really care all that much, but red is my happy color.

3. What do you think comes after death?

I have lost so many people that I think about that a lot. I think it brings us great comfort to imagine that there is a life beyond this one, and so I believe that. I believe I will get to ground Paul and David for all eternity (after I give them huge hugs) for causing such pain by doing stupid things that they knew better about doing. I have read enough about near death experiences and communication with those who have passed that I believe there is something. And of course, after 25 years, Gilbert is still finding me parking places, so I know he's out there somewhere. If I can, I'll come back and let you know. :)

4. Name a TV show that should NOT be renewed for another season.

For me, anything with "Housewives of" in it could die the death and it would not bother me at all. But to each his own taste.

5. If you could have a free subscription to any online service, which would you like to have?

For fun, perhaps Shockwave, but I've had difficulty subscribing and then playing their games, so maybe not. Also the NAPP site (National Association of Photoshop Professionals). I am a NAPP member and have that service, but it would be nice to have it for free.

6. Where did you think you’d be at the age you are now?

Pretty much where I am now, though I never dreamed I'd travel as much as we have, and I thought I'd have more grandchildren than we do. (another reason for grounding Paul and Dave when I see them again. Paul's widow is remarried and has one child and is expecting twins. Would those have been my grandchildren if he'd lived?)

7. What did you want to be when you grew up?

The first thing I remember wanting to be was a Carmelite nun because I was inspired by reading the biography of St. Therese of Lisieux. I can't see me in a cloistered nunnery! I wanted to be a mother. I wanted to be a missionary. I wanted to be a dog trainer. When I read Sue Barton books, I imagined myself as a nurse, but the thought of changing bedpans killed that idea. After seeing "Interrupted Memory" I wanted to sing opera (my poor mother for enduring those months of my warbling at top volume while washing dishes!) At one point I wanted to be a door to door person who conducted interviews...kind of like writing a meme for other people. The one thing I did NOT want to be was a teacher, which is what my father insisted I be when I went off to college. So in the end, I got to be what I wanted: a mother.

8. If you were to suddenly become famous, and were forced to change names, what would you choose as your stage name?

Oh good lord. That would mean I would have to have...you know...imagination or something. I liked the old studio days when they told you what name to use. Like Vickie Lester or something. (Now there's an obscure reference probably only my gay friends will get!)

9. What is the first book that you can remember reading by yourself as a child?

I know I read lots of books before the 4th grade, but in the 4th grade my friend Stephen Calegari loaned me his copy of "The Black Stallion" and I absolutely loved it. I then had to read obsessively all of the books written by Walter Farley and then I had to read all the horse books I could get my hands on.

3 comments:

Harriet said...

You do realize I'm gonna steal this.

(I loved Walter Farley too, but I read Black Beauty long before I found those in the library.)

Jennifer said...

Red's my happy color too, but I've never had the guts to get a car in red.

Bev Sykes said...

We had not only a red car, but a red CONVERTIBLE when we got married...but we traded it in on a family car when I got pregnant