Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thursday Thirteen

Women in my life whom I admire

1. My mother, my best friend. She’s not perfect, but there is so much about her that I admire.
2. Dair Rausch, a woman in this town who has given so much to the homeless, low-income, migrant workers, battered women, etc.
3. Laura Morefield, fighting cancer with the support of “Team Laura.” She has opened my eyes to what really happens in the battle against cancer.
4. Gabi Clayton, who lost her son to a hate crime, and went on to become active with PFLAG and to work with (and found) groups devoted to putting an end to hate
5. Georgia Griffith died several years ago, but she was a latter day Helen Keller, blind and deaf and becoming a mentor to other handicapped people so they could get on the internet. She was amazing.
6. Ashley, my SPCA contact, for all the work she does to help animals. She goes above and beyond simply “helping to place dogs in permanent homes.”
7. Ellen and Shelly, fighting tirelessly for gay rights.
8. Maria Mertz, our Mexican daughter, for the successful businesswoman she has become. Who knew that shy high school girl who moved into our house would become so incredible.
9. My daughter Jeri, who has grown into such a talented, giving, caring person.
10. Walt’s sister, for her dedication to and care of her mother.
11. Merrell Frankel (recently deceased) for her...um...zest for life, which was incomparable.
12. Peggy, who puts in incredible hours helping to save orphaned baby kangaroos (and I thought I worked hard with puppies!)
13. Laurie Feldman, a woman I have watched grow from a little girl sitting in the Lamplighters audience, mouthing all the words to all the songs, to a world class opera director.