Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thursday Thirteen

Today is the 24th anniversary of the death of my best friend, Gilbert Russak. Though I had lost people to death before, his was the first death that really affected me. Here are 13 deaths that had a significant impact on my life:

1. Gilbert Russak died of a heart attack following routine surgery in 1986
2. My sister, Karen was murdered by her partner in 1971
3. My son David died in an auto accident in 1996
4. My son Paul also died in an accident in 1999
5. My godmother, Babe Fourtner, died about the time I was 10 years old, of some “female cancer.”
6. My friend Michele died of a heart attack, much too young
7. Art Conrad, a Lamplighter actor/director/choreographer was the first friend I lost to AIDS
8. Phil Dethlefsen, once my best friend, died and I almost didn’t know it because we hadn’t spoken in years. I still miss him.
9. Sister Anne, my favorite teacher and lifelong friend, died of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma shortly before Ned and Marta were married.
10. My father’s death in 1987 was significant only because I was finally free of all of his negativity.
11. My friend Diane died of a heart attack, also much too young
12. My very distant cousin, Bill Brunson died of AIDS
13. Dick Remley, a friend of Steve’s, died of AIDS. I didn’t know him well, but his death rocked the “The Last Session” family

1 comment:

Terri said...

Bev, you've withstood more than your share of grief. Parents, cousins, friends, this happens. The sorrow is painful, yet it's also expected as a part of life. But losing a sister to a murder, and losing sons? That comprises tragedy, and my heart goes out to you for that.