Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Deadline Looms

I decided to get serious about Christmas today. I didn't want to rush it, of course. No point in being ready ahead of time, even though "ready" doesn't mean what it has meant for the past 42 years. I kinda miss "Mom's Christmas Crisis."

But I did get Christmas gifts gathered together to see if I was missing anything. I'm not really, except one gift that I know I bought but can't find. I have looked everywhere and in the process have significantly lowered the piles of junk around here -- and found the printer cartridge I have been looking for as well -- but still no gift. I saw it within the last two days. I remember holding it in my hands in the last two days. But where in the world is it...?

Tom's gift, which was reported to have been mailed on 2/15, also hasn't arrived, but I have a bit of leeway on that, since he won't be here for Christmas and it will be delivered to him by Walt, Jeri and Phil after Christmas (I hope). The company tells me to "allow 7 days," which time will be up tomorrow. Hold the good thought.

Walt went out shopping in the early afternoon and came home to report that it was miserable downtown and that he had to park quite a distance from the store he was going to.

By the time he got home it was after 3 p.m., and I was hoping that I might hit the lull between the "stay at home shoppers" and the "after work shoppers."

I started out at Costco and found a place to park within the parking lot very close to the store. I spent a lot of time in there and found lots of stuff I would have done something creative with had I started in that store a few weeks ago. Just as well I didn't. But I did get a gift box put together for our dog sitters and then snuck out to drop it off on their front door.

Then it was time to head downtown. I had little hope of actually finding a parking spot when I noticed that while I was waiting at a red light at least eight cars went into the Borders' parking lot, but miracle of miracles, I actually did find a spot.

When I entered the store, the line of people waiting to check out stretched almost the entire length of the store. I put my merriest "Christmas is almost here and this will only be a half hour out of my life" face on and went searching. Found the few things I was looking for, by which time the line at check-out had shrunk to only three people.

When I got back into the car, I realized that I had done it. I had finished my shopping list and had even purchased an alternative gift to replace the one that I can't find (it will be a big coup if the first gift actually shows up, but I'm getting the feeling that somehow, I don't have a clue how, I inadvertently threw it out.

It's only the 21st and I've finished my shopping and almost everything is wrapped. How did that happen?

It ain't a lot, but we're a small group

No comments: